Together with Applied Information Sciences (AIS), the University of Virginia and George Washington University, Design Thinking DC (DT:DC) has launched the Summer of Design, a facilitated design thinking experience in which a diverse group of participants apply the principles of Design Thinking to real problems faced by organizations in our local community.
Why Design Thinking?
Design Thinking combines diverse fields, such as engineering, public policy, architecture, and economics to solve really complicated problems. It provides a framework that teams use to craft innovative solutions. Design Thinking DC (DT:DC) is an action-oriented community of innovative change makers who come together to share knowledge, experiences and find ways to leverage the substantial benefits of these techniques.
What is the Summer of Design?
The team-based design challenge includes:
- Weekly video workshops provided by the University of Virginia Darden School Foundation, curated by Jeanne Liedtka, co-author of Designing for Growth, and professor of Business Administration at the Darden School of Business
- An online community for learning and engagement powered by Darden NovoEd
Design Thinking mentors from DT:DC
- Expert conversations and mentorship with faculty from the George Washington Milken Institute School of Public Health at GW and the George Washington School of Business
- Technology expertise from AIS
- U.S. government mentorship as part of the Road to the Global Entrepreneurship Summit
- All culminating with Statements of Accomplishment from the University of Virginia Darden School Foundation and XD@GW with the successful completion of this program!
Our partners value the techniques and methodologies of design thinking to explore different ways to solve problems. AIS focused on Design Thinking as a way to solve complex challenges for our customers. With design oriented disciplines like User Experience Design that incorporate user research and human-centered design, we build better solutions to our customer’s challenges. We are incredibly proud to sponsor and dedicate technology expertise to the participants of this program.